Sonic 2- 2P VS- Casino... Sonic 2- 2P VS- Casino...

Although I love the song as it is, and the mix isn't too bad, but I really hear the MIDI influences. From being around too many MIDI rippers and then many people remapping/remixing from the MIDI- I just... I used to be like that, and i'll be honest, its not the same as recomposing from scrap. Using a MIDI takes little work, despite what anyone may say.

I give it no less than 3 stars because I felt this was one of the better songs composed with a MIDI, but I just see lack of potential, which is why I give it less than 5.

Composition: 10 of 10 ~ instruments do not mesh, and compliment one another
Effort: 2 of 10 ~ Too much MIDI influence. just.. too much.
Mastering: 5 of 10 ~ Lack of potential. This goes hand in hand with Effort, as better mastering could make it seem less sequenced.

Final Review Score: 6 of 10 ~ 3 stars.
Vote: 5 of 5, however.

My standards on review score and vote score are separate. Review is my offhand crit and score, while my vote shows the listen-ability to the song is on the untrained ear.

Another note: At least you posted a remake of one of my favorite 2p songs.

DrMackFoxx responds:

Hmmmm... I definitely understand and agree with much of your critique. However, I do not agree that modding MIDI files is so easy. First off, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that very few people who make covers using existing MIDIs actually have permission from the original creator. I've been collaborating with John "EspioKaos" Weeks for a few years now and am in regular contact with him. To be honest, if he had never given me permission to use his work and post the resulting creations, then none of these tracks would be here, including my originals (Mainly as tinkering with his work taught me how to compose music through MIDI software). In addition, if he had not approved this or any of the tracks I put together, they would not have been posted. Besides, if I had constructed this track from scratch, it would be exactly as it is now. My intent is to give some new life to classic tracks from older Sonic the Hedgehog games by giving them a new sound as opposed to tearing them apart and making them almost unrecognizable from the source material.

While I agree that an instrument swap is as easy as pressing a few buttons, making it sound good is another matter. Especially if you consider the sound scheme I'm using. For example, finding ways around pitch-bending and warbling notes (Something you can't do on a real piano) can be quite challenging. Case in point: EspioKaos' and my piano/eletronic cover of "Sonic 2- Metropolis Zone" http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/468940 (You may need to remove any spaces added randomly to the URL. Don't know why Newgrounds does that)

It took several months, between a hard drive failure and other things, to get that song sounding good with my piano/electronic arrangement. Other things such as getting reverb, chorus and volume levels correct make creating a good MIDI edit not nearly as easy as you may think. It still takes days to get one of these covers sounding good, but it usually take weeks or even months at times finding ways to get the source material to work with this sound scheme. If it were really so easy and I didn't care for quality, I would have instrument-swapped my way through EspioKaos' MIDIs in a matter of months and I have no doubt he would have never given me permission or worked with me on this and the other Sonic Piano tracks currently posted here. It's been nearly two years since I made contact with EspioKaos and got permission to use his work. It's even better since the Newgrounds Audio Portal FINALLY allows us to credit multiple authors in audio submissions: this was my only gripe with the Audio Portal before the recent redesign. So now, John "EspioKaos" Weeks' name can now be displayed under the Credits section, as it should be.

In a nutshell, good-sounding MIDI edits are not easy to create. It takes much more than an instrument change-around to get the job done. Plus, I do have full support and permission from the original author of these MIDIs to create and post these covers. If nothing else, maybe consider adding EspioKaos to your Favorite Audio Portal Authors? :)

In closing, I thank you very much for checking out this song, but mostly for the thorough critique. I'm glad you enjoyed this collab and, should you check out Johns' and my past and future submissions, I hope you enjoy those as well. :)

Im Blue remix [T-Free] [C89] Im Blue remix [T-Free] [C89]

Unbelievable Remix of a Classic~

This is more than worth a listen. I love how you were able to put those instruments together to make the song recognizable, at the same time of making it something of your own. I really can't find any flaws with this, but this was one of my favorite songs in the CD: Europop- so here is to you- making a great song even better!

I hope to hear more great remixes from you!

Re-listenability: 10
Sound Quality: 10
Rating: 10/10
Review: 10/10

~Mixmaster Sparky

+- Fly Far Away With Me - +- Fly Far Away With Me -

Great! Buuut~

This was a very great piece. Very calm and soothing- however, With that being said- I don't think FL Slayer fits in with this. Find another instrument, one that stands out but sticks with the nice feel to this song.

~Sparky

Rating 8 of 10
Vote 4 of 5

When Light Conquers Darkness When Light Conquers Darkness

Nostalgia~!

I love Code Lyoko~

But as for the music, it does. I love the uplifting kind of tone, and what you did to the original.

When I hear remakes, sometimes others use too many instrument or change the overall tone- and kind of kill the overall feel of a song. You on the other hand stuck with it, nicely done! ~Sparky

Score 10 of 10
Vote 5 of 5

CKC - In The Night CKC - In The Night

Quite a Theme...

I was going to say that the chorus made it sound a bit less, but then after the instrumental chorus came in- well, it was quite a fill in. Its music like this I really look forward to- because it sounds very realistic.

the beginning sounds soothing. its also something I can nod my head to listening to it.

If my animation plan ends up working next year, your the first I'm coming to.

CKC2009 responds:

thanks

CKC - Tide CKC - Tide

Got talent~

I gotta say, this is one of my most favorites on NG. Love the variations and overall effect!

10/10

~Sparky

CKC2009 responds:

thanks man!!!!!!!

Sonic 2 Chemical Plant Metal Sonic 2 Chemical Plant Metal

Notslogia

This really does bring back memories.

The rock appeal is quite fitting to the original melody and the game.

10/10~

Mario Flying Cap Remix Mario Flying Cap Remix

Awesome! (another hit)

Please! inform anybody!

Sonic The Hedgehog Dirty Remix Sonic The Hedgehog Dirty Remix

Nice, dude....

you bring back the old days the modern way. I luv all of these friggin BGMs you've created.....er, tweaked.

Sonic 3 | Ice Cap | HM Remix Sonic 3 | Ice Cap | HM Remix

If only If only...

I rate this a perfect 10... if only if only this version was in the game.... it really matches sonic overall, expecially his speed!